National Education Policy 2021 India NEP Policy in Education Sector: The new National education policy is a framework to prepare guidelines and give direction to the education system in our country. This is our 3rd policy on education. Knowing the history 1st policy introduced in the year 1968 when Indira Gandhi was prime minister, later the 2nd policy in 1986 and the same amended in 1992 and after a long time now in 2021 we have the 3rd. Education comes under the ‘concurrent list’ where both the centre and states can make law. And it’s not binding on states, their choice can make changes. Education earlier was in the centre list with amendment under article 42 in 1976 changed to the concurrent list.
National Education Policy 2021 Features
- UGC and AICTE to replace the ‘Higher Education Commission of India’.
- Opening up higher education to foreign players so that foreigners can establish educational institutions in India.
- Easier board exams can relieve the stress of the students and concentrate further, making them realize that board exams were not the end.
- Reintroduction of 4 Years bachelors program with exit options, can exit anytime in these 4 years and get a certificate.
- Flexibility to institutions for masters programmers.
- M.Phil will get removed as it is included in the bachelor’s 4th years degree.
- Setting up of ‘ National research foundation’.
- more emphasis on ‘Experimental and Critical Thinking‘ with reducing the syllabus.
- Unlike earlier ’10+2 system’ now 5+3+3+4 system explained ( till 12th standard) were 5 Years (till 2nd class, also called foundational stage) then 3 Years (3rd,4th and 5th grades), 3 Years ( middle school, till 8th grade) and 4 Years (flexible to take subjects like science, arts or humanities) here you can choose interdisciplinary example you can choose biology and history of your interest.
- Mother Language made compulsory till the age of 5 years of the child so as not to inflict language burden on them.
And aim to spend 6% of annual GDP which is much-required funds to develop the Education System in India.